One of my go-to recipes from one of my very favorite bloggers is this recipe for mini salsa turkey meatloaves. I absolutely love this recipe, and since there’s hardly ever a time when I don’t have a batch of homemade salsa in the fridge, I often decide to make these for light weeknight dinners. Kristin has a ton of creative ideas for healthy, flavorful meals over at Iowa Girl Eats, so check her out if you’re looking for inspiration.
I took a different spin on the ground turkey this time, partly to use up the slider rolls we scored at Battle of the Burg and partly because I wanted to play with some different flavors.
These are so fast and good. The little burgers are really moist – and a little spicy – because of the salsa verde, the yogurt and the lime in the sauce give them a bit of a tang, and you can really see all the melted cheese oozing out when you take them out of the oven. Yum.
I made these pretty small because the buns I had were so small, probably not as big as traditional sliders. I liked being able to use the cookie scoop, though, because shaping them went so quickly, and I didn’t have to roll these by hand. But, adjust the size to whatever will fit your slider rolls. You may just need to up the baking time by a couple minutes if you make them larger.
I hope you love them!
- ~~~For the sauce~~~
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup light sour cream
- 2 T. mayonnaise
- 3 T. tomatillo salsa (salsa verde)
- 1 T. freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 2 T. minced chives
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ~~~For the sliders~~~
- 1 lb. 94% lean ground turkey breast
- ½ cup tomatillo salsa (salsa verde)
- ½ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- ⅓ cup shredded cheese (I used reduced fat 4-cheese Mexican)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- Slider / party rolls
- Tomato slices, for serving
- For the sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, sour cream, mayonnaise, salsa, lime juice, chives, salt, and pepper. Cover and chill for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, salsa, bread crumbs, shredded cheese, garlic, egg, salt, and pepper. Mix until just combined. Scoop even portions using a medium cookie scoop and place portions on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes until cooked through.
- Place sliders on rolls, top with sauce and tomatoes, and serve.
Adapted from Iowa Girl Eats.