Sometimes planning a menu for the Super Bowl can be…overwhelming? Is that the right word?
More often than not, though, you want to build an entire meal out of finger foods and dips, so what’s the perfect combination? And, you don’t want to be working in the kitchen when your friends arrive or, even worse, after the game has started, so what can you make ahead of time?
Plus, the sheer volume of recipes to choose from can be sort of mind-boggling for people like me. (“But, I haven’t looked at ALL my recipes yet; how do I know the choices have been properly narrowed down??)” With so many classic, football-appropriate appetizers to choose from – spinach and artichoke dip, buffalo wings, potato skins, etc. – sometimes you need to throw a few together to cover all your bases. That’s what brought me here…
…to these stuffed mushrooms.
They’re more than just mushrooms, though. They’re stuffed mushrooms, jalapeno poppers, and popper dip all wrapped up into one! Win-win-win. You can make them in advance, too, if that helps take some pressure off of your planning. I made that batch in the photo up there the day before I baked them, and you couldn’t tell at all.
Two things about the mushrooms, and then we’ll scoot you right over to the recipe.
First, the cream cheese mixture will fill approximately 24 oz. of mushrooms, whatever size you’d like them to be. I bought really big mushrooms, and the filling was enough for 14 of them. You could certainly make more, smaller mushrooms if you’d prefer. Keep an eye on them, but the baking time should be about the same regardless of size. You want them to bake long enough that the jalapenos have a chance to soften. Also, you can use whatever type of mushrooms you like. I used regular (albeit HEFTY) button mushrooms, but if you want to substitute creminis or even go for the portobellos, those would both be great, too.
Ok, let’s get to it!
- 24 oz. mushrooms, cleaned and stems removed
- 1-2 T. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (8-oz) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 3 jalapenos, seeds removed & minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly-ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 2 T. unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup seasoned panko crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13” baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Brush the outside of the mushrooms with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with black pepper. Place in the baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese, mayonnaise, jalapenos, garlic, cheddar, salt, and pepper.
- In a separate small bowl, pour the melted butter over the panko crumbs. Stir thoroughly to coat all the crumbs in butter.
- Fill the mushrooms evenly with the cream cheese mixture. Top each of the mushrooms with the panko crumbs.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the tops are a deep, golden brown. Serve hot.
Popper filling adapted slightly from Brown Eyed Baker.